The major authorities for the project manager at BEC would be:
- The project manager needs to take part in all the briefings provided to the employees at BEC concerning the project so that he can explain to the employees what is expected out of them.
- The project manager should have the authority to employ all the contemporary project management techniques.
- While using the project management techniques, the project manager should have the authority to control cost, risk and schedule.
- Project managers have sound technical knowledge and they should use this knowledge to assist the BEC employees to deliver the task in the best possible way.
- Since BEC has a matrix organizational structure, the project manager should have the authority to change the reporting manager of the employees if required and is beneficial for the project.
- The project manager should also have the authority to raise invoices for time to time payment from the customer.
The organizations should have a strong matrix structure in which the functional managers and the project managers are at same levels. This would ensure that the project manager enjoys the authority to staff and manage the project assigned to him.
Project manager is the main link between the company and the customer and hence he should be given authorities which would help him to work better and to manage the employees better. The project manager should share cordial relations with the functional manager as well so that the work assigned to the functional teams are completed smoothly. In order to make the working environment cordial for the employees, the project manager should be given all authorities which brings together the functional managers , the employees and the project manager together to deliver the assigned project with accuracy and well within the assigned time frame (Gido Clements, 2014).